Add/Drop a Class
The following information provides directions on adding, dropping, or changing sections of classes. If you are dropping your only class or all of your classes, then you should visit the withdrawal page of this website. Changes to your schedule can be done via Enroll & Pay. After online enrollment closes, a schedule change form may be required to make schedule changes.
Steps for Schedule Change
- Check the effect of your withdrawal on your transcripts, financial aid, and other areas. See the drop checklist for a list of things to consider.
- Obtain permission codes, if needed. "Instructor consent" or "Department Consent" appears in the schedule of classes if permission is required. Permission codes are available from the instructor or department as needed.
- Obtain change approvals if necessary. See the Schedule Change Approval Chart.
- There are deadlines for schedule changes. Make sure you complete all changes before the deadline. For full semester courses, see the Schedule Change Deadline Chart. For short or irregular courses, see the Short Course List for individual course deadlines.
- If a class is closed, check with the department concerning waitlist options. Waitlists are not available for all classes. Departmental staff will give you enrollment instructions based upon available options.
- Check your schedule and tuition & fee assessment for errors.
- If your fee assessment changes:
- If you have not yet paid your initial bill for the semester, pay the new amount due by your due date
- If you have already paid your inital bill for the semester and now owe more, you will receive an additional billing. See the billing schedule.
- If you have already paid your initial bill for the semester and now owe less, you will receive a credit to your account. Credits are first applied to any outstanding charges on your KU account. Once all charges are paid, a refund will be issued. See the Student Account Services Refund Website for more information on how refunds are issued.
- Tuition and Fee adjustment dates differ from deadlines to make schedule changes. See the fees page for more information.