Add/Drop a Class
The following information provides directions on adding, dropping, or changing sections of classes. If you are dropping your only class or all of your classes, then you should visit the withdrawal page of this website. Changes to your schedule can be done via Enroll & Pay. After online enrollment closes, a schedule change form may be required to make schedule changes.
Steps for Schedule Change
- Before you make any schedule changes check on the impacts with other departments.
- If you receive financial aid or scholarships please visit wtih your financial aid and scholarships counselor.
- If you work with international student services please reach out to your contact.
- Visit with your advisor about potential impacts toward degree progression.
- Consider how a drop will appear on your transcript
- See the drop checklist for a list of additional items to consider.
- Obtain permission codes, if needed. "Instructor consent" or "Department Consent" appears in the schedule of classes if permission is required. Permission codes are available from the instructor or department as needed.
- Obtain change approvals if necessary. *For Summer and Fall 2020 terms the Office of the University Registrar will facilitate any necessary approvals for course or semester withdraws. Please submit the online withdraw from during this time.* See the Schedule Change Approval Chart.
- There are deadlines for schedule changes. Make sure you complete all changes before the deadline. For full semester courses, see the Schedule Change Deadline Chart. For short or irregular courses, see the Short Course List for individual course deadlines.
- If a class is closed, check with the department concerning waitlist options. Waitlists are not available for all classes. Departmental staff will give you enrollment instructions based upon available options.
- Check your schedule and tuition & fee assessment for errors.
- If your fee assessment changes:
- If you have not yet paid your initial bill for the semester, pay the new amount due by your due date
- If you have already paid your inital bill for the semester and now owe more, you will receive an additional billing. See the billing schedule.
- If you have already paid your initial bill for the semester and now owe less, you will receive a credit to your account. Credits are first applied to any outstanding charges on your KU account. Once all charges are paid, a refund will be issued. See the Student Accounts & Receivables Refund Website for more information on how refunds are issued.
- Tuition and Fee adjustment dates differ from deadlines to make schedule changes. See the fees page for more information.