An office in Enrollment Management

Residency Definition

Resident tuition classification is determined by criteria found in Kansas statutes and regulations of the Kansas Board of Regents. Students are responsible for providing information sufficient to support their applications for resident classification. This is a general overview of the procedures and criteria used to determine resident status. It does not replace or supersede the statutes or Regents' regulations which contain the detailed requirements that must be met in order to prove resident status.

For students 18 years or older residency is determined based on their ability to document clearly and convincingly that they meet the criteria established by the statutes and regulations summarized below. The residency status of students younger than 18 years is determined by the residence of their custodial parent or the parent who provided the preponderance of the support for 365 days prior to the first day of classes.

The definition of residence (K.A.R. 88-3-2 - see below) contains criteria which can be grouped together into three basic categories: 1. Continuous physical residence in the state of Kansas for a year prior to the start of classes. 2. Reliance upon Kansas sources of support and 3. Intent to make Kansas your permanent home indefinitely. It is possible to change classification status while attending the University, however, you will be required to document that you have met the criteria, as outlined in K.A.R. 88-3-2 for a year prior to the first day of classes. Demonstrating that you have met these criteria while attending school can be difficult. Each application is assessed relative to the regulations based on the individual's situation as presented in the application. Note - If you have lived in Kansas within the past five (5) years and were a resident for tuition purposes and plan to return to Kansas, please contact the assistant registrar. This information is available on the KBOR website.

Application Procedures

Applications for a change in resident tuition classification may be obtained from the Office of the University Registrar, KU Visitor Center, 1502 Iowa St. on the Lawrence campus, 3001 Student Center for the Kansas City Campus, or a printable residency application form is available. Completed applications may be submitted to the Office of the University Registrar as early as 75 days prior and as late as 30 calendar days after to the first day of classes for the semester for which the change is being requested. All questions on the application must be answered and all supporting documentation must be attached. The documentation should be in the form of photocopies, as all information becomes the property of the University of Kansas. These are confidential records and are maintained in accordance with the University of Kansas Student Records Policy.

Submit applications to the KU Visitor Center (1502 Iowa St.) for the Lawrence or Edwards campuses or 3001 Student Center for the Kansas City campus.

In reviewing the application, the Office of the University Registrar will consider each individual situation as presented and assess it in relation to pertinent Kansas statutes and Board of Regents regulations. Once a decision has been made, the student will be notified in writing. The decision may be appealed.

Appeals Procedure

Students whose application for resident status has been denied may appeal the decision. An Appeal Form must be submitted no later than thirty calendar days after the decision has been made. The appeal form is included with the denial decision. To request an additional form, please email The Residency Appeals Committee reviews appeals of resident classification. The decision of the Residency Appeals Committee is the final determination made by the University of Kansas.

International Students

International students who are not citizens of the United States must meet the same criteria as a citizen in order to gain resident classification. However, intent to remain indefinitely in the state of Kansas, and the United States, generally cannot be demonstrated unless the student possesses Permanent Resident Alien status and has been in that status for twelve months prior to the first day of classes. Marriage to a U.S. citizen does not change the criteria an individual must meet.

KU Medical Center Students

Students at the University of Kansas Medical Center (KUMC) should contact the KUMC Office of the Registrar at 913-588-7055, (

Tuition and Fee Waivers

Students who meet certain categories of criteria are eligible for tuition assessments equal to resident rates when authorized by the Kansas legislature and the Kansas Board of Regents. These privileges do not change a non-resident classification. Please see K.A.R. 88-3-8 through 88-3-12.

K.S.A. 76-731. Certain American Indians deemed residents of state for purpose of tuition and fees.

Any person who is attending or who has attended Haskell University shall be deemed to be a resident of this state for the purpose of tuition and fees for attendance at any state educational institution under the state board of regents.  The student needs to submit an official transcript or official enrollment verification to the Office of the University Registrar no later than 30 calendar days into the semester in which the change is being requested.  If you have any questions, please contact the Office of the University Registrar.

Associated with K.S.A. 76-731 at

KU Academic Calendar
Hawk Help: Ask a Question

Enroll & Pay

Enroll & Pay is the University of Kansas' online campus solution for enrollment, financial and other services.

Schedule of Classes

The Online Schedule of Classes

One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times
KU Today