An office in Enrollment Management

Withdrawal Considerations

As you consider withdrawing from the University of Kansas, it is important to keep in mind that your withdrawal can affect your academic, personal, and financial records and responsibilities in a number of ways. Prior to making this decision, please:

  • Check the academic calendar to get a full understanding of refund and withdrawal deadlines.
  • Make sure that you understand the effect of withdrawing on your transcript.
  • If you are a dependent for for healthcare purposes, check with your insurance company on the impact of withdrawing on your policy coverage.
  • Financial Aid - if you have financial aid (grants, loans, work-study), you must contact a financial aid advisor about your specific situation. Contact Financial Aid and Scholarships at 785-864-4700 or
  • Scholarships – Check the requirements of each individual scholarship. If you have a departmental scholarship, contact the department that provided the scholarship.
  • Student Housing – If you live in student housing at KU (apartments, residence halls or scholarship halls), you must contact the Department of Student Housing by visiting Corbin Hall, Suite DSH or contacting the department at 785-864-4560 or
  • Contact Information – Update your address and phone number through Enroll & Pay via the Student Center of Campus Personal Information. Set your email account to forward to a non-KU account through Information Technology Accounts.
  • Transcripts – If you are transferring to another institution, you can order your transcript on-line. If you have any outstanding balances due to KU, your transcript request will not be processed.
  • International Students – If you are an international student (ex. F-1/J-1 status), a complete withdrawal without proper authorization can have severe legal consequences depending on your immigration status. You must contact the International Support Services Office by visiting 2 Strong Hall, calling (785) 864-3617, or emailing prior to completely withdrawing.
  • Student Organizations – If you are a member of a student organization such as a fraternity, sorority or other special groups, you must contact them and let them know you will be leaving.
  • Enrollment for next semester – If you withdraw on the first day of class or after, you will be assigned an enrollment appointment time for next semester. Log on to Enroll and Pay before main enrollment (mid-March for Summer/Fall enrollment; mid-October for Spring enrollment) to view your appointment time. Follow the continuing student enrollment instructions. This is valid ONLY for the semester immediately following the semester in which you withdraw.
  • If your plans change and you are not enrolled at KU for one or more semesters and plan to attend a future semester – you must apply for readmission by the appropriate deadline. Visit admissions for the application and specific deadlines.
  • Students enrolled in short courses that are less than five days in duration or in a short course that has passed the withdrawal deadline for the semester they intend to drop - contact the Office of the University Registrar at 785-864-4422 or for information regarding withdrawing.

KU Academic Calendar
Hawk Help: Ask a Question

Enroll & Pay

Enroll & Pay is the University of Kansas' online campus solution for enrollment, financial and other services.

Schedule of Classes

The Online Schedule of Classes

One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times
KU Today