An office in Enrollment Management
  • Home
  • Deceased Military Personnel Enrollment Without Charge for Spouses and Dependents

Deceased Military Personnel Enrollment Without Charge for Spouses and Dependents

Students seeking tuition/fee assistance as spouses and dependents of certain deceased military personnel and prisoners of war must complete and return this form. Assistance will be provided if a student meets eligibility criteria and the Kansas Legislature has made appropriations available for this purpose.

What Benefits Are Available

K.S.A. 75-4364 provides an opportunity for spouses and dependents of certain public safety officers who died as a result of injuries sustained in the line of duty to enroll in Kansas postsecondary educational institutions without payment of tuition or fees. Enrollment without payment of tuition and fees means that an eligible student will be allowed to enroll without payment of tuition or any mandatory fees required of all students at the time of enrollment. The student will be responsible for other charges associated with the student’s academic program and living costs.

Who is Eligible to Apply

Dependent is defined to include a birth child, adopted child or stepchild, or any child other than the foregoing who is actually dependent in whole or in part on the individual who is related to such individual by marriage or consanguinity.

Spouse is defined as a spouse of a certain deceased military service member or prisoner of war who has not remarried.

Military service is defined as any active service in any armed service of the United States and any active state or federal service in the Kansas army or air national guard.

Certain military personnel are defined as a military service member who, at time of death (1) was a Kansas resident, (2) served on or after September 11, 2001, and (3) died on or after September 11, 2001 as a result of military service. Vietnam Conflict: Dependents of persons deceased or declared a POW/MIA as a result of service during the Vietnam conflict may request a waiver of all tuition and required fees once eligibility is certified by the Kansas Commission on Veterans Affairs.

Prisoner of war means any person who was (1) a resident of Kansas at the time the person entered service of the United States armed forces and who (2) while serving in the United States armed forces, has been declared to be a prisoner of war, as established by the United States secretary of defense, after January 1, 1960.

When May Eligible Students Enroll

Each eligible individual may qualify for tuition and fee waiver only for a total of ten semesters of undergraduate instruction or the equivalent thereof.

Where Eligible Students Enroll

Enrollment without charge of tuition or fees under this statute will be possible at Kansas educational institutions which means public institutions such as: area vocational schools, area vocational-technical schools, community colleges, the municipal university, Regents institutions and technical colleges.



Attached File: 

KU Academic Calendar
University Registrar Updates

Enroll & Pay

Enroll & Pay is the University of Kansas' online campus solution for enrollment, financial and other services.

Schedule of Classes

The Online Schedule of Classes

One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times
KU Today