Guide to all important dates throughout the regular semester (Add, Drops, Refunds, CR/NCR, withdrawals etc.)  

Admissions classification for incoming students and applicants. (readmit, transfer, freshman, or non-degree-seeking student)  

Official university document that certifies a student is currently enrolled. Can also be used to certify other aspects of the student record, such as GPA, credit hours, etc. Often used to defer loan payments and for insurance.

After the last day to drop, students may elect to take one course a semester for credit/no credit. Credit/No Credit approvals are subject to the policy of the student’s school/college.  

A person who attended KU in the career (undergraduate/graduate) the previous fall or spring semester and has earned or is expected to earn grades of A, B, C, D, F, WG, I, S, U, CR, NC, or W.  

An online self-serve tool that allows students to track their progress toward completion of degree requirements.

Process which employers, universities or other third parties can verify a student’s academic record. (Degree details, major, enrollment dates, etc.)

Dropping a course during the time period before a W will be placed on a transcript.

A third party with permission to view certain aspects of a student’s record and bills. (Often a parent or family member of student). The student must give permission and initiate the delegate process. Also see “Payment Delegate.” 

NOT a physical appointment. The date and time in which a student can enroll in the next term based on their grade level (Freshman, Junior, etc.), and hours completed within their level. New, incoming students are given an enrollment appointment that corresponds with their orientation date. Enrollment Appointments are typically assigned in late September and early March for the upcoming semester.

Deposit paid by incoming freshman that officially confirms their place in the next KU Class. This cannot be refunded if the student attends orientation.

Includes Office of the University Registrar, Office of Admissions, Financial Aid and Scholarships, Enrollment Management and Student Services, and Student Information Systems. 

Enrollment Status
Undergraduate StudentsFall/SpringSummer
Full-Time12+ hours6+ hours
3/4 Time9-11 hours4.5-5 hours
Half-Time6-8 hours3-4 hours
Less than Half-Time1-5 hours1-2 hours

Enrollment Status - Law

Law StudentsFall/SpringSummer
Full-Time12+ hours6+ hours
3/4 Time9-11 hours4.5-5 hours

Graduate Students: Visit the Policy Library for more information.

Process to have tuition and course related fees waived for exceptional circumstances.  

Full time is considered 12+ hours for undergraduates in Fall/Spring and 6+ hours in summer. Anything less is considered part time.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act – law that defines and limits who can access private student information (grades, bills, records, etc.)

Office that oversees all student aid.

Flag on a student’s record that generally indicates the student has an action they must take, such as paying a past due balance, meeting with an advisor, etc. These flags often block enrollment activity and/or obtaining a transcript/diploma until the required action has been completed.

A restriction placed on your record that prevents registration. Holds include financial, nonfinancial, advising, and others. A complete list of enrollment holds (also called service indicators) can be found here.

Students at the University of Kansas are assigned a unique identification number called a KUID number. This is the same as their account number on their bill. 

Solves technical issues throughout KU systems - 785-864-8080.

Any initial term enrollment at 12:00 a.m. or after on the first instructional day of the Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters for full-term courses.

A long term break taken by a graduate student, often whole semesters or years. If a leave of absence is longer than 5 years, the student must reapply for admission.

Automated process that pulls admission data into a student’s record for enrollment.   

Website that assists students with setting up their online KUID and password.  

A person who has not earned grades in the career (undergraduate/graduate) at the University of Kansas.

Oversees admissions for domestic, undergraduate freshman and transfers. Coordinates campus visits.

Oversees enrollment services, academic records, diploma production, tuition and fee assessment, course and room scheduling, athletic certification and veterans services. 

A third party (often a parent or family member of student) with permission to make payments to a student’s bill through KU’s online payment vendor, TouchNet. Payment Delegate Access is granted separately from Enroll & Pay delegate access, but students cannot grant Payment Delegate Access without first setting the third party up as an Enroll & Pay Delegate and granting them access to student financials.

Number given by department or instructor that allows student to enroll in a course for extenuating circumstances (closed class, student hasn’t met requisites, etc.) 

Major or Minor

Professional School (CLAS, Engineering, School of Music, etc.)

Reason for change in the Student Program/Plan (Plan change, Activate, Discontinue, etc.) 

An applicant who attended KU in the past but has been away from KU for a semester or longer.

A person who previously attended KU in the career (undergraduate/graduate) and has earned grades of A, B, C, D, F, WG, I, S, U, CR, NC, or W and has not been enrolled for one semester or more.  

Determines whether a student is considered in-state or out of state for tuition purposes.  

Academic standard that must be met to qualify for financial aid.

Courses that do not meet for the full-term.

Classes that fall outside of the regular academic timeline and have different start/stop, drop, refund, and credit/no credit dates from the regular term classes.

Individual, organization, or country that pays for a student’s tuition and fees. 

Enrollment Management department that offers support to any department utilizing Enroll and Pay and other online KU services.

Usually a concentration within a Major or Minor but can be used for tracking purposes.

Official university document detailing all academic work on a student’s record.

A letter produced by Registrar that gives a detailed or summarized view of a student’s customer account by term.

Dropping a course during the time period in which a W will be placed on a transcript