Apply for Graduation
Congratulations, Jayhawk! We are excited you are nearing graduation.
The University of Kansas confers degrees for students who have met all requirements by the course completion deadline for each of the three terms. The University of Kansas hosts one official Commencement ceremony in May each year. Schools and the departments host recognition events separate from the official commencement ceremony.
Application for Graduation
All KU and KU Medical Center students with plans to graduate must complete an Application for Graduation by the Application for Graduation Deadline for the term the student plans to graduate.
- Applications to graduate in the spring semester are typically available on the first business day of July. The UGDL application deadline is March 1 and the GRDL application deadline is the last day of finals.
- Applications to graduate in the summer term are typically available the first business day of September. The UGDL application deadline is July 15 and the GRDL application deadline is the last day of classes.
- Applications to graduate in the fall semester are typically available the first business day of February. The UGDL application deadline is November 1 and the GRDL application deadline is the last day of finals.
To complete your AFG, follow these instructions:
- Log into Enroll & Pay.
- Access the “Degree Progress/Graduation” page.
- Select “KU Apply for Graduation.”
- Confirm the name that will appear on your diploma and in the program.
A complete AFG does not grant graduation approval or register you for Commencement participation. You must contact your respective school to confirm that requirements have been met and to finalize details.
School and College Tips:
- Complete your AFG before March 1, to have your name included in the Commencement program (if you do not want your name and degree printed in the Commencement program, check the Commencement Book Hold box)
- Apply as early as possible. Check with your school or college for a Priority Graduation Check Deadline to ensure timely graduation information.
- Work with your advisor throughout your time at KU to ensure you are completing graduation requirements and made aware as early as possible of any concerns.
- Apply to graduate for the semester that all degree requirements will be completed and not based on the semester that they want to walk down the hill. For example, if a student plans to complete their degree requirements in spring, the student should apply for spring graduation. If a student plans to complete their degree requirements in the summer, they should apply for summer graduation.
- If a student misses the online deadline to apply for their intended semester of graduation, they should contact their advisor as soon as possible to file an application offline.