Residency FAQ's


The laws and regulations regarding residency for tuition and fee purposes are established by the Kansas Legislature and the Kansas Board of Regents. State universities are required to follow these rules and may not establish their own. The Legislature’s and the Board’s rules are unique to residency for tuition and fee purposes at the state universities, and residency for other purposes, such as for community college tuition, may differ.

Generally, if you (or your parents, if you are a minor) have lived in Kansas more than one year (12 months), you have not been enrolled at a state university during that time, and you intend to stay in Kansas indefinitely, you will be considered a resident for tuition and fee purposes. In other words, you demonstrate that you have chosen to live in Kansas for at least 12 months because you want to make Kansas your permanent home and not just because you want to get in-state tuition. Please see K.S.A. 76-729 and K.A.R. 88-3-2.


If your out-of-state parents have provided any financial support during the previous 365 days, and this has helped you stay in school, you are considered out-of-state because you have been dependent upon them to remain in school. If, during the previous twelve months, you have received money from other out-of-state sources (trust funds, bank loans, non-resident scholarships, etc.) in all likelihood you will be considered out-of-state. You must be able to prove that you have supported yourself for at least twelve months, paying your own tuition, fees and expenses if enrolled in school during this period. If you go home for the summer, work there, or live at home, you will be considered out-of-state. Some non-earned financial aid is acceptable if it does not tie you to any other state.

Only if parents are deceased, divorced, or legally separated is the appointment of a guardian or a grant of custody recognized for residency tuition classification. Court appointment or grant of custody is required. In most cases, guardianships terminate at age 18. Guardianships established for the sole or main purpose of qualifying the ward for resident fees will not be honored.

If you can prove you were a resident for tuition and fee purposes within the last five years (60 months) and that you have returned to live in Kansas please email: for assistance.

This is not sufficient to establish in-state tuition classification. Other agencies may consider you to be a resident for a specific purpose (taxes, voting, etc), in accordance with the statutes governing that purpose; however, for tuition payment purposes you must satisfy the appropriate Board of Regents articles. Obtaining licenses and voting are evidence that you have done some things toward eventually obtaining residence, but they will not, in and of themselves, grant you resident fee status. Conversely, having these things in another state may result in denial of in-state status.

In some cases, yes. Resident tuition rates are available to veterans (and/or their spouses and dependents) who are eligible for federal education benefits, as well as all current members of the armed forces (including army, navy, marine corps, air force, coast guard, Kansas army or air national guard, or any branch of the military reserves of the United States), along with spouses and dependent children.

Eligibility for resident tuition also extends to those who had established residency in Kansas while permanently stationed in Kansas or prior to service in the armed forces. In these cases, the veteran, veteran’s spouse or dependent, must live in Kansas at the time of enrollment.

The Armed Forces Residency Benefit page provides additional information about applying for residency at the University of Kansas in accordance with the Kansas Board of Regents Regulations.

Usually, no. Students who are here on a temporary visa must leave the country once the purpose for the visa has been met. This includes all student, training, work, and practical experience visas. The evidence of a temporary visa shows the student does not have permission to reside in the state of Kansas indefinitely, therefore the person cannot demonstrate they have intent to make Kansas their permanent residence. Please see K.A.R. 88-3-2.

Dependent spouses and children of University employees, classified and unclassified, on regular payroll appointments for four-tenths (.4) time or more, shall be allowed to pay an amount equal to the resident fee rate. Please see K.A.R. 88-3-9.

Complete the staff-dependent tuition rates application to apply for reduced tuition rates.

No. By statute, residence is based upon where one physically resides and criteria associated with that residence. No provision is made for where one is employed or owns property.

After reading the regulations the complete the appropriate application form, submitting all required documentation, to the Office of the University Registrar. It will be reviewed and you will be notified of the decision by email. The deadline for submitting petitions is 30 days after the first day of classes for the term. An application can be submitted as early as 75 days in advance of the first day of classes for the upcoming term.