How to receive resident status for fee purposes
Veterans, spouses and dependent children who meet at least oneof the following three conditions:
- Currently eligible to receive a VA educational benefit (i.e. GI Bill® Chapters 30, 31, 33, 35, 1606); or
- Veteran was permanently stationed in Kansas during service in the Armed Forces; or
- Veteran had established Kansas residency prior to joining the Armed Forces
AND are living in Kansas while attending KU
And who submit a letter of intent to establish residence in Kansas
Note: for these steps, KU Online ID login required
1. Update your "current address" in KU Enroll & Pay to a Kansas address.
2. Complete the statement of intent webform by the 30th day of the semester being requested and upload any of the following to the form:
- VA GI Bill Certificate of Eligibility or Statement of Benefits
- DD-214 or other documentation showing proof of prior Kansas residency
- Any official military documents showing a Kansas location as a permanent duty station
3. If spouse or dependent child, also provide documentation verifying relationship to veteran (i.e. birth certificate, tax returns, military dependent ID) if not already listed on one of the aforementioned documents.
You must begin this process by the 30th day of the semester being requested. Retroactive requests will not be approved. If you are experiencing a delay in obtaining documents from VA, please let our office know.
To keep residency status:
Maintain continuous enrollment (except summer terms & breaks), AND
Maintain physical presence residence in Kansas during enrollment