How to receive resident status for fee purposes

Prior-service veterans, spouses, dependents


Veterans, spouses and dependent children who meet at least one of the following three conditions:

  • Currently eligible to receive a VA educational benefit (i.e. GI Bill® Chapters 30, 31, 33, 35, 1606); or
  • Veteran was permanently stationed in Kansas during service in the Armed Forces; or
  • Veteran had established Kansas residency prior to joining the Armed Forces;

AND are living in Kansas while attending KU;

AND submits a letter of intent to establish residence in Kansas


Note: for these steps, KU Online ID login required ·

  • Complete the statement of intent webform by the 30th day of the semester being requested and upload any of the following to the form:
    • VA GI Bill Certificate of Eligibility or Statement of Benefits
    • DD-214 or other documentation showing proof of prior Kansas residency
    • Any official military documents showing a Kansas location as a permanent duty station
  • Update your "current or Jayhawk address" in KU Enroll & Pay to a Kansas address.
    • If you do not have a Kansas address at the time you submit the statement of intent webform, we can conditionally approve your residency status pending your Kansas address. You will need to enter your Kansas address as your “current” or “Jayhawk” address in KU Enroll & Pay no later than 1 week before classes start. If you do not meet this deadline, your conditionally awarded in-state tuition rate will convert to out-of-state. If this happens, you will have until the 30th day of the semester to update your address and regain in-state status. If you do not, you will owe out-of-state tuition for the entire semester.
  • If spouse or dependent child, also provide documentation verifying relationship to veteran (i.e. birth certificate, tax returns, military dependent ID) if not already listed on one of the aforementioned documents.

You must begin this process by the 30th day of the semester being requested. Retroactive requests will not be approved. If you are experiencing a delay in obtaining documents from VA, please contact the Military-Affiliated Student Center.

To keep residency status:

Maintain continuous enrollment (except summer terms & breaks), AND

Maintain physical presence residence in Kansas during enrollment