How to receive resident status for fee purposes

Service members, spouses, dependents


Currently serving members in the U.S. Armed Forces (Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, Coast Guard), spouses and dependent children who are:

  • Active Duty
  • Reserves
  • Kansas Army or Air National Guard 


Provide one of the following a copy of current orders by the 30th day of the semester being requested.

If ROTC, include a copy of current contract for enlistment or reenlistment in the Armed Forces.

If spouse or dependent child, also provide documentation verifying relationship to service member (i.e. birth certificate, tax returns, military dependent ID) if not listed on the orders.

You must begin this process by the 30th day of the semester being requested. Retroactive requests will not be approved. If you are experiencing a delay in obtaining required documents, please contact the Lt. Gen. William K. Jones Military-Affiliated Student Center.

Submit your documentation by using the online Armed Forces Residency form. Your KU Online ID is required to log-on to the form.

To retain residency status:

Maintain continuous enrollment (except summer terms & breaks)