An office in Enrollment Management

Armed Forces Residency Benefit

Certain military-affiliated students may be eligible for in-state tuition rates.

This is in compliance with State of Kansas law and the federal Veterans Access, Choice, and Accountability Act of 2014

How to receive resident status for fee purposes

Service members, spouses, dependents

Prior-service veterans, spouses, dependents

Who's eligible

Currently serving members in the U.S. Armed Forces (Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, Coast Guard), spouses and dependent children who are:

  • Active Duty
  • Reserves
  • Kansas Army or Air National Guard 



Provide a copy of current orders to the Office of the University Registrar at

If ROTC, include a copy of current contract for enlistment or reenlistment in the Armed Forces

If spouse or dependent child, also provide documentation verifying relationship to service member (i.e. birth certificate, tax returns, military dependent ID) if not listed on the orders.


To keep residency status

Maintain continuous enrollment (except summer terms & breaks)


Who’s eligible

Veterans, spouses and dependent children who meet at least one of the following three conditions:

  • Currently eligible to receive a VA educational benefit (i.e. GI Bill® Chapters 30, 31, 33, 35, 1606); or
  • Veteran was permanently stationed in Kansas during service in the Armed Forces; or
  • Veteran had established Kansas residency prior to joining the Armed Forces

AND are living in Kansas while attending KU

AND who submit a letter of intent to establish residence in Kansas



 Note: for these steps, KU Online ID login required

1. Update your "current address" in KU Enroll & Pay to a Kansas address

2. Complete the statement of intent webform and upload any of the following to the form:

  • VA GI Bill Certificate of Eligibility or Statement of Benefits
  • DD-214 or other documentation showing proof of prior Kansas residency
  • Any official military documents showing a Kansas location as a permanent duty station

3. If spouse or dependent child, also provide documentation verifying relationship to veteran (i.e. birth certificate, tax returns, military dependent ID) if not already listed on one of the aforementioned documents.


To keep residency status

Maintain continuous enrollment (except summer terms & breaks), AND

Maintain physical presence residence in Kansas during enrollment

Frequently Asked Questions

I applied to KU and was admitted as an out-of-state resident, but I qualify for in-state tuition based on the Armed Forces Residency Benefit. Why did that happen?
Per Kansas state law, you must be enrolled in at a state educational institution in order to receive the Armed Forces Residency benefit. You're also required to have a Kansas address listed in KU Enroll and Pay and you must submit a statement of intent to establish residency in Kansas, both of which require a KU log in. 
What if I don’t have a Kansas address because we haven’t yet moved there?
We recommend waiting to apply for the in-state residency until you have a Kansas address. You have up to 45 days after classes start to apply for the residency status without having to file an appeal
How do I get a Certificate of Eligibility or Statement of Benefits?
If you have not yet applied for VA benefits, visit the VA's website and apply. The VA will mail you a COE 4-8 weeks after you've applied.
If you have applied but cannot locate your COE, get a copy of Post-9/11 GI Bill Statement of Benefits or, for all other GI Bill users: Click the "Ask a Question" button (VA login required) on the GI Bill website and submit a query for the VA to mail copy of your COE.
I am/my sponsor is a member of the National Guard in another state. Am I eligible for in-state rates?

You will not be eligible to apply for in-state residency based on National Guard status from another state per Kansas law. You may still apply for in-state residency based on the veterans/spouses/dependents criteria, if applicable.

I plan to live in Missouri during college – can I get in-state tuition rates?

It depends. If you meet the criteria for current service members/spouses/dependents, where you live does not matter. For veterans/spouses/dependents, if you have the Post-9/11 GI Bill at the 100% rate you may be eligible for Yellow Ribbon while using the GI Bill. Otherwise, it is a requirement for students to live in Kansas to receive the Armed Forces Residency benefit. 

Does KU offer Yellow Ribbon?
Yes - Yellow Ribbon covers the difference between out-of-state and in-state tuition so is only for students who do not meet the Armed Forces Residency Benefit criteria above. If you plan to live in Kansas while attending KU, you will not need Yellow Ribbon - apply for in-state tuition rates per the Armed Forces Residency Benefit instead. You must be a Post-9/11 GI Bill user at the 100% rate to use Yellow Ribbon. If you are using Post-9/11 GI Bill at 100% and live in Missouri while attending classes at KU, please complete the Yellow Ribbon Application each semester you have benefits. This benefit is only good for as long as you have GI Bill benefits. 
Do I lose my in-state resident status if I run out of the GI Bill?
No, as long as you meet the criteria above to keep residency status.
If I take a fall or a spring semester off from KU, do I need to reapply for resident status?
Yes, unless you are in the Guard/Reserves, were called to active duty, and you notified KU.
How do I use my GI Bill benefits at KU?

Please visit for steps on using your GI Bill benefits.

Where do I find the Kansas Board of Regents Statute for residency for military personnel and veterans?

Please visit the Kansas Board of Regents Residency Rules and Regulations site for the statute.


‘‘GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at" 



KU Academic Calendar
Hawk Help: Ask a Question

Enroll & Pay

Enroll & Pay is the University of Kansas' online campus solution for enrollment, financial and other services.

Schedule of Classes

The Online Schedule of Classes

One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times
KU Today