Armed Forces and Military Affiliated Benefit Information

ROTC Student looking at Flag and Jayhawk badges on arm
Frequently Asked Questions

Per Kansas state law, you must be enrolled in at a state educational institution in order to receive the Armed Forces Residency Benefit (AFRB) and submit the required documents/information. This requires having a KU login. Visit either the steps for current service members, spouses, dependents or the steps for prior-service members, spouses, dependents for what you need to do for AFRB. If you have questions, contact the Military-Affiliated Student Center.

You can still submit the statement of intent webform. If you meet all other criteria, we can conditionally approve your residency status pending your Kansas address. You will need to enter your Kansas address as your “current” or “Jayhawk” address in KU Enroll & Pay no later than 1 week before classes start. If you do not meet this deadline, your conditionally awarded in-state tuition rate will convert to out-of-state. If this happens, you will have until the 30th day of the semester to update your address and regain in-state status. If you do not, you will owe out-of-state tuition for the entire semester.

If you have not yet applied for VA benefits, visit the VA's website and apply. The VA will mail you a COE 4-8 weeks after you've applied.

If you have applied but cannot locate your COE, get a copy of Post-9/11 GI Bill Statement of Benefits or, for all other GI Bill users: Click the "Ask a Question" button (VA login required) on the GI Bill website and submit a query for the VA to mail copy of your COE.

You will not be eligible to apply for in-state residency based on National Guard status from another state per Kansas law. You may still apply for in-state residency based on the veterans/spouses/dependents criteria, if applicable.

It depends. If you meet the criteria for current service members/spouses/dependents, where you live does not matter. For veterans/spouses/dependents, if you have the Post-9/11 GI Bill at the 100% rate you may be eligible for Yellow Ribbon while using the GI Bill. Otherwise, it is a requirement for students to live in Kansas to receive the Armed Forces Residency benefit.

Yes - Yellow Ribbon covers the difference between out-of-state and in-state tuition so is only for students who do not meet the Armed Forces Residency Benefit criteria above. If you plan to live in Kansas while attending KU, you will not need Yellow Ribbon - apply for in-state tuition rates per the Armed Forces Residency Benefit instead. You must be a Post-9/11 GI Bill user at the 100% rate to use Yellow Ribbon. If you are using Post-9/11 GI Bill at 100% and live in Missouri while attending classes at KU, please complete the Yellow Ribbon Application  each semester you have benefits. This benefit is only good for as long as you have GI Bill benefits. 

No, as long as you meet the criteria above to keep residency status.

Yes, unless you are in the Guard/Reserves, were called to active duty, and you notified KU.

Please visit VA Benefits for steps on using your GI Bill benefits.

You do not need to apply for AFRB since your program is a flat rate regardless of residency status. You only need to apply if you see “out-of-state” indicated on your tuition charges on your KU bill. Contact us if you’d like to confirm that you’re in a flat-rate program.

Your out-of-state merit scholarship will convert to the in-state equivalent. No action is needed on your part. Visit the freshman scholarships page to see the in-state equivalent. While the in-state scholarships are a lot lower, your tuition rates are also a lot lower. The out-of-state merit scholarships are just designed to bring your tuition closer to the in-state rates, so it’s a better deal to get in-state residency and the in-state merit scholarships.